Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Necessity is the Mother of Invention

This evening I felt like it was time for a controlled fall off the fitness bandwagon.  After all, I've been riding it for a whole forty-eight hours already.  Rather than succumb to the siren song of discount Easter candy, I decided to bake a "healthy" dessert to munch on.  Various factors including unpresentable appearance and general laziness decreed I had to use what was readily available.

I decided to make blondies, because I knew we had no cocoa and I didn't feel like investing the time required to make individual sugar cookies.  Same thing, right?  A trusty supply of frozen whole wheat flour and a recently rediscovered stash of stevia would make the recipe a little more guilt-free.  I was already melting butter when I discovered I had no eggs.  There didn't seem to be a way around that one, and I didn't have any of my tried-and-true egg substitutes around.  Google once again saved the day, throwing up an eggless brownie recipe which involved cooking white flour and water over medium heat until it thickened into an egg-like consistency.

Of course, these whole wheat blondies turned out to be so think they took twice as long to bake, and the edges were starting to get unpleasantly brown while the inside was still a bit doughy.  Next time I should use a pan twice the size called for, just to spread it out.  I'm not sure whether they taste like blondies or extra-sweet dinner rolls.  Anyway, they cured the craving, and now I have something for breakfast besides raw oatmeal.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! I've been in the egg-zact same place, half way through a project and NO eggs! At least your end result sounds a lot more edible than my thick as a brick cinnamon bread... details to follow!

    ReplyDelete