Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

First Communion Pageants

Last week I witnessed another First Communion ceremony which seemed to have more consideration for the parents than for the First Communicants.  I don't mind the reserved pews, the special homily, the photo ops.  However, almost immediately after these kids actually received their First Communion, they lined up in front of the altar to sing "Open My Eyes, Lord," complete with all the choreographed signs and gestures.  It really wasn't that great, but cameras were flashing everywhere.

I guarantee that at least one of those kids was robbed of his First Communion because he was too distracted by his upcoming performance to appreciate it.  I would have been that kid.  Fortunately, I didn't have to sing in front of the whole church for my First Communion, or I would have been a nervous wreck.  This isn't a Broadway musical, it isn't even Vacation Bible School.  This is YOUR CHILD'S FIRST COMMUNION.  It's kind of a big deal, so give him a moment, for pity's sake.

2 comments: